April 7, 2009

Toot Toot

That would be the grammar police. Not that I am an expert, but there are some things that just bug the heck out of me. Examples are misuse of there/their/they're or your/you're. I find it especially irksome (and also hilarious) when these violations are printed, and better yet, publicly distributed. OK, here's the deal, I was driving to work today and was behind someone with one of those annoying honor roll stickers on their car...."My child is a honor student at...." Luckily, for ASD and for myself, this was not a local school so I don't have to worry about sending my child to a school that should probably have their honor students doing grammar checks for them!

That's all.

P.S. For all you MOA residents.............get out and VOTE TODAY!!!! (I would prefer you vote for Eric Croft, but it is a free country after all)

3 comments:

Mariah's Mama said...

Amanda, thanks for this blog post. (I actually checked it because I thought Toot Toot might have meant you had Mason in some kind of train conductor garb :)

I edit many things in my work and was most frustrated in a conversation I had about the use of "an" before h's. Not one of the college educated staff members I work with(and one with a Master's degree) had ever heard of using "an" before h! They looked at me like I had 2 heads. I looked in grammar books in our office and could not find the rule and was beginning to feel that I was nuts...but after reading your post, I just googled it and found some info. I will be copying this and giving it to my staff...I knew I wasn't wrong about that! And I agree...vote Croft!! Cheers...

Mariah said...

Apparently I'm one of the idiots you guys are talking about because I thought you only used "an" before words that start with vowels.

Amanda said...

You're not an idiot. I think it has to do with the sound the "h" makes...say it out loud...it's a honor/it's an honor. See?