November 6, 2011

Gishy Goo

I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet or not, but a couple of months ago I got braces. Yes, real metal braces. Just on my bottom teeth, but still...they're the real deal.

Here's what happened. I had braces as a teenager and they put one of those permanent retainers on my bottom front teeth. As time as passed, my teeth surrounding the retainer have shifted, one tooth in particular. My dentist has been "suggesting" for years that I go back to an orthodontist, but since it was really just cosmetic, I didn't go. At my last cleaning, my dentist didn't just suggest, he basically told me to go. Apparently, my teeth shifted enough it was causing bite problems and TMJ issues.

The dentist told me it would be just a simple fix, like Invisalign.

HA! Not the case.

Basically, I forgot how much they could hurt. And how torn up the inside of you lip gets! To make matters worse, the little colored bands that they put on the brackets are made of latex, which I am allergic to. Those little bands, while making your braces any lovely color of the rainbow you could possibly wish for, also help add a little cushion for your lip against the metal. So I'm out of luck there. It hasn't been too terrible, but when it does get bad, I have GISHY GOO! This is something new, well, at least since my previous experience with braces. It's a strange silicone thing that goes on your brackets and works WAY better than that stupid wax they give you. It's a life (and lip) saver!

The only good thing to come out of this is that the orthodontist I'm going to is incredibly good looking :)

1 comment:

Susanne said...

How long will you have to wear braces?