January 13, 2012

On the Big Screen

It should be no shock to anyone reading this that actually knows me that I love to read. In fact, that is probably the number one complaint I have about motherhood is that I have no time anymore to read, and when I do have time I usually fall asleep! That being said, it should also be no surprise that I am absolutely one of those people who are incredibly reluctant to see a movie that has been made from a book I love.

My faith lately has been somewhat rekindled, however. First, there was the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series...the subtitled, Swedish version (I basically refuse to see the Daniel Craig, American version). AMAZING! If you haven't seen them, you need to. Even without reading the books, they are fantastic.



It was even further rekindled when I watched The Help on my recent flight back to Anchorage. (I also watched Friends with Benefits and laughed my ass of on the plane). Anyway, The Help was probably my favorite book that I read last year. So much that I even read it twice! I was really reluctant to see the movie, but I kept hearing so many wonderful things about it I finally checked it out. It was so wonderful, and even more incredible was that, not one time did I think, "Ugh, this is nothing like the book!" I still recommend reading the book first, I just wouldn't be me if I didn't.



So this leads me to actually wanting to go see a movie that just came out. Jonathan Safran Foer is up near the top of my list of favorite authors, and "Everything is Illuminated" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" are two of my favorite books. The fist was made into a movie a few years ago, it was a small, independent film that didn't get much attention, which is probably why it was actually done very well.



Now the second has been made into a move, and with my faith being rekindled, I think I may go out on a limb (test my luck, so to speak) and see it.



And to FURTHER test my luck, I also want to see The Hunger Games. I am currently reading the second book in this series and am IN LOVE with all the characters!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I've heard EXTREMELY LOUD is a good movie but its more loosely based on the book than a true depiction.

I loved THE HELP. The movie adaptation was fantastic, and the audiobook version is outstanding!