September 27, 2010

The (non)artsnob

There were a couple different articles/blogs on ADN today about ASO's opening night concert, so I thought I'd add my own take on my own blog.

First, Randy's hair was as fantastic as ever. The perfect combination of pouf and feather. Although, I did notice during a bow or two that it may be *gasp* thinning a little on top. I'm still not sure what you call Randy's haircut. It's certainly not a mullet, but it's not crazy long 80's rocker hair either. I could definitely see him with either of those haircuts in a past life...maybe someone should dig up some old 80's pictures of him to compare. This is like the reformed version, right?

Second, parking. Holy crap, when the symphony sells out, it really does a number on downtown parking. Luckily, for me, it wasn't super cold nor was I wearing super cute (high-heeled) shoes so parking down by Snow City wasn't a big deal.

Third, the heat. Ok, I know that a good number of symphony goers are, how do I say this...well, old. Is this why the PAC cranks the heat up so high? It was seriously so hot in the Atwood my right leg was completely useless the rest of the night.

In all seriousness, the ASO did an amazing job. It was so wonderful to see them sell out a performance, and I hope this is an indication for this seasons ticket sales. Todd and I decided that getting season tickets would be a great way that we could guarantee at least one date night every other month. Todd was a season ticket holder when we met, but we haven't gone to the symphony together since before we were married, and I think it was definitely something we both missed.

Icing on our cupcake? A sweet thank you card and gift card taped to our seats as a surprise from Mariah's Mama. THANK YOU!!!

It was a super-sized concert, because of the usual season openers (star spangled banner/ak flag song) but also because they recognized both Arthur Braendel Sr and Ted Stevens. There was some debate over whether the Stevens tribute was necessary, since other notable AK figures haven't been given the same, but I think it was both appropriate and beautifully done. And for once, the people of Anchorage didn't applaud when they weren't supposed to! Oh, not for the entire concert (no, there was plenty of poorly timed applause to be had), just not during the moments of silence for these two men.

2 comments:

Mariah's Mama said...

Thanks for adding your thoughts about the concert to your blog! And we're so glad that you and Todd are attending concerts again. Sorry about the heat. It is always hot when we have a pianist because we have to turn off some of the fans to keep the air from blowing across the piano - and we have to keep the humidity up. Those darn pianos are so sensitive! We'll try to get the heat down for the remaining concerts. :)

As for Randy's hair - check out some of these pictures on his website:
http://www.randallcraigfleischer.com/bio.php

I saw Randy when he was in Anchorage with the National Symphony in 1992 - he was definitely sporting the rock do!

Glad you liked the surprise. I was worried that the tape might not have held up! Or that I might have put the card on the wrong seats. I worry about silly stuff. Cheers to the (non)artsnob!

Mariah said...

If I remember correctly, and I very well could not be, I told Mom she had to hire Randy when they were looking for conductors...simply because of his hair.