September 11, 2010

Remembering

I didn't know my husband when the 9/11 attacks happened. He was a "probie" with AFD, having just moved here from a fire dept in Colorado. We both have totally different memories of this day, but today I realized something. As I watched my son "read" one of his MANY fire truck books, I said a little prayer for my own sanity, as I'm sure he will go through a period of "I want to be a firefighter when I grow up". My prayer was that this doesn't last and that he has a nice, safe desk job.

To be fair, my husband and I both would be incredibly proud of him...I will just require Xanax thinking of my baby in a burning building :)

What I also realized today, watching footage from 9/11/01, seeing the men and women of FDNY racing into the madness and the unknown of that day, is that my husband would do the same thing. He doesn't know you, but he would die to save you. I don't know many, if any, people who can say the same thing. Yes, he gets paid good money for his job, and yes, they play foosball and floor hockey (A LOT), but when shit goes down, trust me, you'll not only want my husband there, but he will be there. No questions asked, no judgement. He will be there. And when you thank him, I know what he'll do. What they all do. They just shrug and smile, and say "Just doing my job."

And I will be at home, biting my nails, praying that he comes home.

***Not to make this political, but please think about this next time you vote for a person for public office who doesn't support police and fire.

1 comment:

M.Fadh Al Husni said...

good blog of greeting recognize my name M.Fadh Al Husni if you require interesting information about Sport, Movie, darling Newss to you to overcome quickly visit my blog Click here, you don't under developed! thank.