November 18, 2010

A Match Made in Hair Heaven

Saturday, Todd and I went to another Anchorage Symphony concert. This one was titled "Story Time" and I was really looking forward to the "line up" for the night, and of course to see Randy's fantabulous hair.

The first half of the concert went by so quickly! They started with the William Tell Overture. While I admit, it's hard to hear this without thinking of either Warner Bros cartoons or that woman singing her own Mom version of it, the ASO did great. And, seriously, Randy's hair was MADE for this piece! I did notice it looked like he had gotten a haircut since the last concert, though, so it wasn't quite as poufy as usual...but beggars can't be choosers, right?

Next up was Debussy, which was beautiful, but the piece that really trumped all others was the Suite from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Wow. I was really looking forward to this, and the ASO did not disappoint! It really makes me want to go back, re-read the entire series, re-watch all the movies, and then head to the theater ASAP to see the latest Potter movie. Bravo!

Now, as for the second half of the concert....Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my top 10, for sure, and I was excited for the women's choir to be joining the symphony, but the switching back and forth between the music and the acting just really didn't do it for me. And, to be honest, I noticed a lot of people checking their programs and shifting in their seats. Also, on the walk to the parking garage after, it was a topic of many discussions. Most people weren't totally against it, but almost everyone commented that it was "different".

All in all, it was another great night. Thanks to Mariah's Mama for putting in a good word to turn the heat down (it was so nice, a lot more comfortable). And, hey, 2 hours to stare at Randy's feathered locks? A girl can't complain about that.

2 comments:

Mariah said...

I told my mom about your love affair with Randy's hair...I think she thought I was exaggerating.

Mariah's Mamma said...

Thanks again Amanda for blogging about your concert experience. Randy's hair is an ongoing topic of conversation and source of many jokes within the ASO! Glad you enjoyed the concert. I too was so pleased with the Harry Potter...many of our patrons who like more "traditional" fare often are most displeased with the programming of any "movie music". John Williams work is truly masterful...and many members of the orchestra said it was the most difficult piece on the program. I do believe 100 years from now...orchestras will play John Williams music. He will be one of the great American composers.

As for your comments on the Mendelssohn...well I am disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy the Shakespeare. As you surmised...you were not alone. We received comments from people who loved it and from some who really didn't. I personally loved it. I am a Shakespeare nerd...to me hearing the words of Shakespeare is quite lyrical - like listening to a chorus.

The audience on Sunday seemed to enjoy it much better. We had many young people in the hall - I think the actors broke up the music for them so it made the concert more enjoyable for them. When I saw all of those kids I was sure we would see a mass exodus during the Mendelssohn...but no one left! It actually was our best Sunday audience ever for kids and their behavior.

As for the heat...can't take too much credit for that. As I think I told you before - opening night was so hot and humid because of the piano. We have to keep it warm and not let cool fanned air blow across it!

All for now. Keep writing - love to hear your comments about the concerts - and the many other things you write about (and the pictures you post of that adorable son of yours.) Cheers, Sherri (aka Mariah's Mamma)