December 28, 2010

Thank you, Santa!

Christmas was an overall success. Being that Mason just turned two, goes to a Jewish daycare, and has fairly non-religious parents, I was amazed that he even knew who Santa was at all...but, of course, he knows. Or at least knows enough to count. The week before Christmas, Todd and I took Mason to see Santa at the Sears Mall (he is apparently the best Santa in town). The whole way there all Mason could talk about was Santa this and Santa that...and of course when we get there Santa is feeding his freaking reindeer. So we walked around the Sears Mall for 20 minutes or so to waste time before Santa came back.

Mason surprised us all. I really thought he would be the typical two year old that is so excited and then bursts into tears the moment he sees Santa. There was a moment of hesitation as we walked up to sit on his lap, but that was soon over and Mason chatted the poor man up like they were old friends. Up til this point, all Mason could talk about has been trains...but ask Santa for a train? No...that would be too simple. He asks for a dump truck.

I know exactly the dump truck he wants, even though he isn't old enough to verbalize it. For his birthday his great-grandparents gave him a Lego Duplo set that has a mixer and a loader with this crane thing...and there is a picture with it of the dump truck that you can buy separately. This is the dump truck of which he speaks...and it is also the dump truck that is no where to be found in Anchorage. So, being the good mother I am, I immediately get online and order it with express shipping.

I just couldn't have his first Christmas asking Santa for something turn out to be a bust. I promised Todd, and myself, that this wouldn't happen every year. But how can I say no to this face?


Christmas Eve Todd had to work, so after I put Mason to bed I set up the stockings. Along with the dump truck, Santa also brought Mason Tidmouth Sheds (Thomas the Tank Engine's home) and some train tracks. Let me tell you, setting up those tracks was a pain in the ass! I am by no means and engineer, and I just kept growing more and more frustrated! I did manage to get them together in a decent pattern eventually and off to bed I went. I think it turned out ok...

Christmas morning we went to my parent's house and had breakfast and Mason opened his gifts from the family. Then we came home to see if Santa had come to the house. Oh my goodness, was that kid excited! I'm surprised he went down for a nap as easy as he did! Christmas dinner was at our house, which was fun and also worked out perfect for Mason, who was able to play with and show off all his new toys.

The next day Mason was still so excited about Santa and all his new toys. He went around to every piece of track saying "Santa bring this, Santa bring this". Then he went over to the window and screamed as loud as he could "THANK YOU, SANTA!"

No comments: