December 30, 2010

Indestructible

Our other Christmas drama had to do with our pug, Duncan. Our family does a kind of potluck-style dinner when we all get together. It's great, everyone brings something so no one gets stuck having to cook everything all day. For Christmas we were responsible for the turkey and the bread.

I actually really love making bread. It's such a process, but I think it's so fun. I decided to make a braided Challah loaf. I mixed everything together, kneaded the dough and set it by a baseboard heater upstairs (behind a closed door where it could get nice and warm). Punched it down and let it rise again. Punched it down and rolled it out into four pieces, then braided them together. Then I put the braided dough back to rise a final time...and apparently didn't close the door all the way. Next thing I know the stupid pug has eaten almost half of the raw bread dough. Grrr! My beautiful bread was ruined!

I actually didn't think much of it at the time, other than being mad Duncan ruined my bread and also mad because he's so stupid (he really is, he'll eat anything). I figured he would have a belly ache, probably throw up, or have diarrhea (or both) and that would be it. So out into his kennel he went.

The next morning, after Todd fed him and went to work, I noticed he threw up his food. This didn't really surprise me much. What bothered me was the fact that the poor dog was tripping over his own two feet, stumbling around the house, literally walking into things. Then I noticed that my normally svelte pug had quite the round little tummy. It hit me like a ton of bricks...FRICK! The dough kept rising IN HIS STOMACH! Then for the second ton of bricks...DOUBLE FRICK! The yeast fermented, and he is drunk!!!

I immediately got on the phone with Diamond Animal Hospital (not our normal vet, but they have a 24 hour emergency room there). They said I needed to bring him in right away to be seen because the alcohol poisoning can be toxic to a dog. Ugh. Great. I had just gotten Mason down for his nap, so my aunt was kind enough to come over to the house while I took Duncan to the vet.

The moment we walked into the vet office they took us straight back (there were probably 5 people in the waiting room ahead of us). The vet did a couple x-rays of Duncan's abdomen to see if he was passing the dough or not.

For those of you reading this that work in x-ray, I'm sure your jaw just dropped (like mine did, too). For those of you who don't work in x-ray, Duncan's stomach is the huge thing taking up most of his abdomen. Basically, the picture on the top is like you were looking at him laying on his back. The black at the top is his lungs (air), the white in the middle of that is his heart. Just below this on your right (Duncan's left) is a huge oval shaped fuzzy thing...that would be his stomach full of raw bread dough.

So, this explains why his stomach was so distended. The problem here is because his stomach was so huge, it shifted all his other abdominal organs out of place, making it hard to tell what is what. Based on these pictures, the vet couldn't say with certainty that Duncan hadn't perforated, or ruptured, his stomach. He suggested going into surgery immediately...which I was not a fan of at all. He decided to do an ultrasound first to try to confirm what was going on, which luckily showed Duncan hadn't ruptured anything. So now we could try to get him to throw up this mass of dough, which I am so thankful he did. The other option was to go in surgically and get it. Again, not a fan of that option at all.

Story over, right? Wrong. Tuesday I had to take Duncan to our normal vet to have his liver enzymes checked. Because of the alcohol poisoning he had we had to make sure he didn't do damage to his liver. Our vet called us last night with his blood results. His enzymes are a little elevated, and his electrolytes are slightly out of range, but judging on the weekend the poor guy had, it wasn't anything too shocking. Hopefully the enzymes are just up right now from having to metabolize all that alcohol and will go back down, but we won't know for sure until we recheck them in 6 months.

As for Duncan, since the moment he threw up he has been acting like nothing ever happened. This dog is seriously retarded, but I love him. I can't help but wonder, though, how many lives a dog gets. They always talk about cats having 9 lives, but no one says this about dogs. Whatever the case is, this dog is going through them pretty quickly. 

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Poor, stupid Duncan. I'm glad to hear he's doing better. That must have been really scary for you.

Mariah said...

Wowie!

Lynn said...

How is Duncan doing now? Impressive x-ray!