January 4, 2011

Top Ten of 2010

2010 wasn't such a bad year. And it seemed to go by pretty fast. Here's a little list of my top ten things that happened last year...in no particular order.

1. Mac Book Pro. Seriously, guys. Best computer purchase ever. I will never go back. I have been officially converted, and am even taking others with me. Todd recently got a Mac Mini for the house, and an iPad for himself. 


2. Thomas the Tank Engine. Ok, so this isn't exactly MY favorite thing, but Mason is absolutely obsessed with trains. We have train toys, train tracks, bath tub toys that are trains, Thomas the train clothes, underwear, movies....you get the picture. Mason even had a Thomas-themed 2nd birthday party. I'm thankful that he isn't into some other super obnoxious 2 year old things like Barney, Elmo, Wow Wow Wubbzy, or that fricking Yo Gabba Gabba nonsense. (Yes, I realize that even knowing what these things are makes me that much closer to being a mini-van driver. I am not proud of this)



3. Getting fired. Ok, well, he never actually had the balls to say this, but it's what happened. It just "wasn't busy enough" for me, and my "contract wasn't being renewed". Blah blah. The fact of the matter is that my former employer has a ridiculous office manager, who has no managerial education/experience and she and I didn't get along. Whatever. It actually ended up being such an amazing blessing. I really wasn't happy there, but I'm not the type to quit something, especially not without a plan. It just happened that I had already been contacted by Providence before being fired to see if I would come back. I ended up back with Prov, with a set schedule that allows me to only work part-time, AND I was given the position of clinical educator. Seriously, I'm working with people I like AND get to use my brain for what I went to school for rather than filing patient charts and reading all day. Sometimes life is funny that way.

4. GHD flat iron. I know, it's a little weird to love a flat iron as much as I do, but it is honestly the best thing I have even used. They're expensive, but completely worth it. I will never go back!

5. Northwestern/Chicago. I know I didn't end up in the treatment group, but finding this study at Northwestern has already changed my whole outlook on having MS. I feel so incredibly fortunate to have found Dr. Burt and to be one of his patients. The man is has cured MS. CURED! This is something that no one ever thought was possible, and now it may happen to me. It's really amazing, and I just need to remind myself of that every so often when things aren't really going my way.

6. Curbside recycling. Finally! No more trips to the recycling center! The trash man just comes to our house and picks it up. Oh, how long I have waited for this day...I was beginning to think it would never come. 

7. Sarah. This is the name of my little brother's new girlfriend. It's been awkward with the whole "baby mama" situation, but even with all the extra drama it brings, it is SO much better that they are not together anymore. For the first time in 5 years, I have my brother back. He is happy, he is himself. It's so great to see him smile again! And Sarah is super nice, and fits in really well with all the crazy that can be our family. 

8. Mediport. What have I been doing without this thing for 31 years? It is so nice to only be poked once whenever I need my infusion. It has made all the difference needing to get these monthly infusions, I actually don't dread going in at all because I know it will be so easy now. 

9. New puppies. Not in our family (we have enough going on with our two dogs) but there were two new puppies added last year. My aunt and uncle had to put down their dog suddenly, but soon found little Kojak (a rottweiler). I know, ridiculous name. And my brother, along with getting a new girlfriend, also finally got a puppy, Kane (a pit bull). And while he isn't a puppy (he's 10), Sarah (see number 7) brought Jake (a HUGE yellow lab) into our crazy mix. It's going to be a fun summer at the lake this year for sure!

10. Boat/Whittier. We sold our sailboat (yay!) and soon found ourselves the owner of a bayliner. The new boat is still un-named, so if you have suggestions I'd love to hear them. The sailboat was "Hat Trick", which I really loved, so nothing has really struck me yet for this one. Mason LOVES the boat, and I feel so much safer with him on this one, I can't wait to get out on it this summer. Mason also LOVES Whittier, which is where I'm sure we'll be spending most of our time. What's not to love there, it's a 2 year old heaven...puddles, trains, boats and a LOOOOONG tunnel to get there. 

No comments: