May 13, 2011

A Trip to the Big City

As I write this, I'm in a hotel room in Klamath Falls, OR. For those of you who don't know where that is, don't worry, no one else does either. It's in southern Oregon, about an hour and a half east of Medford. There really isn't much here to speak of, other than the Oregon Institute of Technology. Work sent me down for the Clinical Instructor Workshop, and I also had the opportunity to meet the new student that will being coming to Providence for their clinical rotation.

It seemed a little crazy to fly all the way down here for just a one day workshop, but I am SO glad I came! It was a lot of really useful information, and I really feel like I will take a lot of things I learned today back home. It was nice to meet other CIs and hear about their struggles. I'm definitely not the only one out there who expects a lot out of their students, and it's so nice that OIT supports that! It's also helpful to understand how OIT runs their program, and what the expectation is here, especially considering all I'm used to is having students from UAA. Without getting too into it, and probably getting myself into trouble, there are some pretty huge differences between the two programs!

SIDE NOTE: The student isn't from Anchorage and is stressed out trying to find a place to rent while she's there (it will be a year long rotation). She and her boyfriend need to find a place...and the catch is that they have an 80 pound dog. Please let me know if you know of anything that may work. Thanks!

I'm heading back home tomorrow, so for tonight I ordered a pizza and will probably watch a movie in the room. As nice as some "alone time" is, it's always hard to leave my little man. As he gets older, he definitely understands that mommy is gone! As I was tucking him in Wednesday night, I was telling him that I was going bye-bye on an airplane and that after he went to sleep THREE times, I would be back. He got pretty quiet, and I was worried he was going to start crying, but he looked at me and said "The airplane bring you back, Mama?" My heart just melted. Yes, baby, Mama will always come back!

1 comment:

Mariah said...

Why is Prov taking a student from out of state??