May 23, 2011

Big Day for the Big Guy

Warning: This post will be solely about Mason and me being a proud Mama

Mason will officially be 2 and a half this week, and today he had his well child check up with the pediatrician. I decided to take this opportunity to get rid of Mason's "me me" (pacifier).

He actually only gets his me me when he goes to bed at night. It isn't allowed to leave the top of his dresser any other time, not even for nap. Considering some other kids I've seen around town, who are WAY older than Mason I might add, this seems pretty harmless. I know, I'm such a meanie, but it's time for the thing to go.

We started talking last week about Mason being almost 2 and a half, and that we were going to see Dr. Elliott. He LOVES his pediatrician, so this was pretty exciting news to him. Then I brought up that he needed to give his me me's away, maybe to a baby that needed them. He actually was ok with this idea. So I combined the two events, and we decided he would give the me me's to Dr. Elliott since she knows a lot of babies that might need them.

There were only a couple times that Mason informed me "I not doing that" when we talked about it, but last night he put them all in a gift bag and went to bed without one for the first time since he was a baby! Today was also no problem. He gave them to Dr. Elliott with no problem, and was actually very proud of himself that he packed them up for her. It was awesome! Tonight, I put him to bed and he didn't even ASK for one! I really hope this is not a fluke.

One slightly unexpected thing at his check up today was that he needed to have a bunch of blood drawn.  Mason is definitely small for his age, and while it may just be genetics (neither Todd or I are tall) but it could also be because of a metabolic problem. Better to find out now, either way. The last time he had to have blood drawn (other than his 1yr finger poke) was when we had our awful ER visit at 5 weeks old...and I did it myself! I didn't do it this time, but I did "hand pick" the person in the lab I wanted to do it. I even called my mom to meet us in the lab (she works there) for moral support.

Turns out, I was the only one needing the moral support. Mason was a total rock star! He held perfectly still, only winced for a second right when the needle went in, and then THANKED the girl who drew his blood for the bandaid after it was over. Now we just have to wait for the results.

Other little things today that were just icing on the cake...we had a totally dry underwear day, even nap time and a poop on the potty (sorry, this is what happens when you become a parent)! To celebrate, and also to share our day with Daddy, we went to the fire station after it was all over (where he was excited to find a potty there to pee on as well). As an extra special treat, Daddy even took him up on the ladder truck.

It was a big day for Mason in many ways. But he handled it all like a pro and I am definitely one very proud Mama!

No comments: