June 9, 2011

The rest of the story

So here’s the long story of my awful day yesterday. I started out heading to Rush University Medical Center for my appointment with the neurologist. He is the one who doesn’t know which group patients are in and just does the disability score. When I started the trial a year ago, I was at 2.5, then in December I was at 4. In order for me to be able to cross over into the treatment group, my EDSS needs to be at least one point higher than I started. 
Going into this I knew that the EDSS isn’t a perfect system, but they have to have some way of measuring and rating each patient. The biggest frustration for me is the doctor who performs the EDSS rushes through the entire thing, and doesn’t seem to pay much attention to what you’re telling him. For example, as he’s going through checking boxes, he says “You don’t have _____” and moves on. Well, no, actually I DO have that. Anyway, it’s a super frustrating experience. And to make it even worse he gave me a 3. 
I left his office in tears and called Todd from the sidewalk outside the hospital. I just really didn’t want to keep doing this at that point. I managed to get myself together by the time I got back to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for my appointment with the study physician. Since I had time, I picked up a copy of my MRI (it is actually pretty stable...more on that later). 
Now for the super embarrassing part. As soon as Dr. Burt (the study doctor) walked in the exam room, I burst into tears again. Even as I write this I’m getting teary-eyed. Ugh. It’s like I broke a valve or something and now I can’t stop! Ok, back to my appointment. He understood my feelings (or at least seemed like he did) and the nurse was also extremely sweet and understanding. He even said that this is the reason he has nothing to do with the EDSS or deciding who is or isn’t in the study...he believes in what he does so much he wouldn’t be able to say no to people. I can’t imagine having his job. Knowing you can CURE something, but not have the ability to do it to everyone. 
The worst part of my number, especially since it was SO CLOSE, is that I feel EXACTLY the same as I did in December! By this logic, the damn number should be the same! I guess this is where the human factor comes in. Nothing’s perfect. Blah blah. I guess I would feel better about the fact that my MRI was still stable if I felt better. What’s the point of having no new or active lesions if I still stumble when I’m tired or get cramping pains in my leg or cant’ feel my hands at work half the time. It’s also bad when Dr. Burt asks me to walk a straight line (heel/toe) and says, “Did he (meaning the EDSS doctor) see you do that?” I know, lord help me if I ever get pulled over! I can hear my mother now telling me to “look at the bright side”, but I’m having an incredibly hard time doing that right now. Maybe I’ll get there, but I’m not there yet. 
 I’m not sure if Dr. Burt just felt bad for the crying idiot or what, but now the plan has changed a little. By the study protocol I shouldn’t have to go back to Chicago for another year now, but he is going to have me come back again in six months. I think he wants to give me another chance if in fact I still feel, or am, worse to get into the treatment part of the study. I’m tempted to lie next time I have my EDSS done. 
So for now I stay on Tysabri and try to get out of this little funk I’ve gotten myself into. Let’s just say, I’ve never been happier to be home and get a hug from Todd and Mason as I am today. 

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hugs for you, sorry to hear this!

Mariah's Mama said...

So sorry to hear that things didn't go how you had hoped they would in Chicago, but I am glad that you will be going back in 6 months rather than a year.

Hope Mason hugs are bringing you some joy and solace.

Mariah said...

That is a lose/lose situation. Sorry friend.