August 30, 2011

Until we meet again

Mason helped me through one of my infusion appointments. 

He was great company, and did a great job leaving my port alone


I thought I should do a little update about the recent MS flare I had. Three days of steroids ended up not being enough, so I did a total of 5 days. They really are just about the worst thing ever, but thankfully it wasn't all for nothing because they did actually help.

Texas Ranger is packed away. I'm hoping I won't ever need to use him again, but I'm pretty sure the reality is that he's just put away until next time. I hate to admit this, but having a walker did actually help a lot. I felt more stable walking and was able to get out of the house a little bit.

I ended up having new MRI scans done of my brain (stable), cervical spine (stable) and my thoracic spine (new lesion). Luckily these were done over two days, and my neurologist gave me xanax. I'm definitely not happy about having a new lesion, but at the same time it's nice to have a reason for this latest flare.

My next Chicago visit has been bumped up to October, rather than December. I'm not sure what the plan will be exactly, but they will do my EDSS again and I guess go from there. 

Todd was amazing (as always) during this whole thing. I can't imagine how he must feel having to sit back and watch all of this unfold, but he never lets on just how much he must hate it. He stayed home to help with Mason and got me to and from all my appointments. He even put up with me being a COMPLETE LUNATIC while I was on the solu-medrol infusions (although he later described it like dealing with a pregnant woman on meth). 

I'm happy to report that I'm back to my normal self, and I'm not longer crying or screaming randomly like I was. Of course, my normal self has it's own share of neuroses, but at least they don't include me cussing out my husband for mowing the lawn (yes, that really happened). Physically I don't feel like I'm back to "normal" (or at least what my normal was before the flare), but I'm hoping that it will continue to improve as time goes on. Or, if it doesn't, I at least hope that my EDSS reflects it and I'll get moved into the treatment arm of the Chicago study.


No comments: